Sunday, January 25, 2009

VEGETARIAN LASAGNA by mom


This is a vegetarian lasagna made with tofu. It has quite a few ingredients but it is really very good!

1 med. onion, chopped
1 med. carrot, grated
1/2 cup water
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 15 oz. can chopped tomatoes with juice
1 28oz. can tomato sauce
1 tsp each dried basil and oregano
1/2 tsp each dried thyme and fennel seed
pinch of cayenne
1 lb firm tofu, mashed
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 10 oz package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed
dry12 oz lasagna noodles (about 10 noodles)

Braise the onion and carrot in the water until soft, then add the garlic and mushrooms; continue cooking until mushrooms are brown. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and seasonings and simmer 20 to 30 minutes.Combine the tofu, parsley, and soy sauce in a bowl.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.Spread about 1/2 cup of sauce over the bottom of a 9x12 inch casserole. Cover with a layer of uncooked noodles, then with half of the tofu mixture and half the spinach. Spread half the remaining sauce over this. Now make layers with the remaining noodles, tofu mixture, spinach and sauce. Cover tightly with foil, and bake for 1 hour, or until the noodles are tender.Let stand 10 minutes before serving to allow it to set.

My mom is the best resource for healthy recipe's. I remember growing up having to eat a lot of healthy food's some things were pretty strange. Now as an adult I really appreciate my mom instilling in me a desire to eat healthy(though I don't follow that desire as often as I need to, it is there). Her and my step dad do eat some things now that make me cringe though. So I hope everyone enjoys these recipes of health. I am going to be adding recipes as well more man friendly recipe's to go along with the healthy ones.

EAT TO LIVE DON"T LIVE TO EAT

No comments: